Coming of age at a time when professions were inherited from the generation before and rarely questioned, most willingly relented under pressure to take over the family firm or follow in a relative’s footsteps. In this sense, the career of Francisco Urrutia, winner of this year’s Lifetime Achievement Award, is exceptional. In this magazine, we interview him on his career, revealing how early success in a different field almost set him on a very different path.
Following Donald Trump’s shock victory in the US presidential election last year, lawyers around the world have scrambled to gauge the impact it will have on the legal frameworks underpinning trade around the world. We report from Latin Lawyer-GRR Live 2nd Annual Restructuring Summit on the effect the new president could have on NAFTA, and the operations of companies in Cuba.
Also in this edition, we report from a roundtable of senior partners from Peru’s leading firms on the impact of high-profile corruption cases, technology and international firms on the legal market; we speak to the lawyers behind the acquisition of Colombian state-owned energy company Isagen by Canada’s Brookfield Asset Management; and we discuss the remarkable growth of arbitration and the opportunities for third-party funding in Latin America.
Finally, we dip our toe into the debate surrounding proposed new rules governing data privacy in Chile and hear from a Colombian associate on the challenge of working on large state privatisations and hitting tight deadlines.
In this magazine:
- Lifetime Achievement Award Winner: Francisco Urrutia, Posse Herrera Ruiz
- Under Siege: A roundtable on the challenges facing senior partners in Peru
- Light at the End of the Tunnel: Isagen and the constitutionality of privatisations in Colombia
Latin Lawyer/GRR 2nd Annual Restructuring Summit roundup:
- Mexico’s Mettle – Will Mexico remain attractive after Trump’s Nafta renegotiation?
- Weathering the Storm – The fear of lasting effects on state-run oil and gas companies in the region?
- Risk vs reward – The disparity between big and small debtors using Chapter 15 filings
- The Devil in the Detail: Could Trump’s proposed US-Cuba policy could affect companies on the island?
- Data Privacy: An update from Chile
- Deal Digest
- Community News