Latin Lawyer July 2016
As international firms scramble to plant flags in Latin America’s biggest economies, Ferrere has been steadily building its presence across the region’s smaller markets. Andrés Cerisola may have inherited the regional vision from his predecessor, but the successful implementation of strategy falls to him. The winner of Latin Lawyer’s Law Firm Leader of the Year Award talks to us about bringing partners on board for the journey.
Also in this issue, we consider the impact of the legislative reform designed to shake up Mexico’s telecoms sector and reduce the power of its dominant players. Two years on, the new regulator is exercising its muscle with some success and the market is home to more foreign companies, but there is still a way to go.
Meanwhile, Brazil is at the front line of the battle to protect web users from cybercrime having passed a series of laws, but is the current package of bills going too far? Telecoms lawyers share their views.
We also hear from Bolivia, where law firms have clubbed together to set up the country’s pro bono clearing house. In Ecuador, we hear from lawyers who have also pooled together their pro bono efforts in reaction to the country’s devastating earthquake. They share their experiences with Latin Lawyer.
In this magazine:
- Ecuador Rising: Pro bobo efforts after the earthquake
- Leading Expansion: Law Firm Leader of the Year, Andrés Cerisola
- Taking on Giants: Mexico’s telecoms reforms two years on
- Protection on the Web: Do Brazil’s cybercrime laws strike the right balance?
- Pro Bono ramps up in Bolivia: A clearing house is formed
- Silver Linings in Brazil: Reasons for investors to feel positive
- Getting Ahead: Top tips for taking control of your career
Latin Lawyer 7th Annual Oil & Gas Conference roundup:
- Pace of Mexican energy reforms “remarkable”, but regulatory gaps remain, say lawyers
- Make Mexico’s deep-water contracts clear to exploit investor interest, say lawyers
- Investments up after early “disaster”, says Mexican oil fund president
- Deal Digest
- Community News
We Also Recommend
Latin Lawyer Guide to Infrastructure and Energy Investment, 2nd Edition